You can apply for the CANADA VISA FOR TOURISTS-Ukraine authorization for emergency travel (CUAET) to come to Canada temporarily, if you’re
- a family member of a Ukrainian
Find out more about the CUAET.
You need to give your biometrics
In most cases, you now need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) after you apply.
Find out who needs to give biometrics and how the new application process works.
Make sure you need a visa before you apply
Entry requirements may have changed since your last visit to Canada. Find out which entry document you need.
To apply for a visitor visa, transit visa or super visa you can:
You must have:
- Access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents to upload, and
- A valid credit card to pay with
Apply online for a visa
Apply on paper
Read the instruction guide to get all the details to apply on paper.
- Instruction Guide 5256
Once you have read the guide, you can prepare your OKTOBERFEST IN CANADA package. You must select the country/territory from which you will be applying to get your local visa office instructions.Select a country/territory
Permanent residents of Canada
We do not issue temporary resident visas (TRV) to permanent residents (PR). If you are outside Canada without a valid PR card, you must apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) instead. If you meet the requirements for a PRTD, you can return to Canada as a PR.
If you no longer want to be a PR, or if you know you do not meet the requirements to keep your PR status, you can voluntarily give up (renounce) your PR status to apply for a TRV.
Who can apply for a visitor visa from inside Canada
You can only apply for a visitor visa from inside Canada if you meet all of these criteria:
- already are in Canada
- hold a valid study or work permit
- want to leave and return to Canada in the near future, and
- have an existing visitor visa that’s expired, or is about to expire, or that was valid for only 1 entry
If you already left Canada and need to apply for a new visitor visa
You must follow the process to apply for a visa from outside Canada instead of the inside Canada process outlined below. There are different requirements you may need to meet since you’re outside Canada.
When to apply for your new visitor visa (in Canada)
- apply at least 2 months before you plan to leave Canada
- not leave Canada until you get your visitor visa
If you leave Canada before you get your new visitor visa
You may be subject to
- additional requirements, like biometrics (if not already on file) and/or a medical exam
- a longer processing time
- a delay in your return to Canada
- You’ll only be able to travel back to Canada once you get your new visitor visa in your passport. There’s no guarantee that you’ll be approved.
If you must leave Canada for exceptional reasons before you get your new visitor visa
Complete this web form before you leave Canada.
- We may need to transfer your file to one of our offices abroad.
- We’ll also need to determine if you meet all the visa requirements for an applicant outside Canada.
- If you don’t contact us, there could be a processing delay or your passport could be returned without a visa.
If you applied online to extend your work or study permit
If we approve your application, we send you a message in your online account and mail you your new work or study permit.
After we approve your application to extend your permit
As soon as we approve your application to extend your work or study permit, you can apply for your visitor visa (even before you get your new work or study permit in the mail).
However, you must provide proof that we approved your application, such as:
- a screenshot of the approval message we sent to your online account
- your application number
- any other document that proves you have a valid and approved study or work permit extension
Get the right application form
To get the right application form, provide these answers in the online questionnaire:
- For the first question “What would you like to do in Canada?”, select
- “Study” if you have a valid study permit or
- “Work” if you have a valid work permit
- When asked “What is your current country/territory of residence?”, select “Canada”.
- Answer the questions on the next pages about your work or studies.
- You may be given the option to extend your current study or work permit or to apply for a “Temporary Resident Visa”. Make sure you select “Temporary Resident Visa”.
The application form listed in your document checklist will be called Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) Made Outside of Canada (IMM 5257). This is the form you need to fill out, even when you apply from inside Canada.
Use your account to pay your fees and check your application status.