Even if you write a daily post of 2,000 words… you are not guaranteed success.
Most digital nomads have the conception that visibility is achieved by generating the largest possible volume of content.
As if emulating the Ford production chain, they start to write in chains to attack the Guest blogosphere with their articles.
But this leads nowhere.
I have been with this blog since 2010 and I assure you that I have gone through all the unimaginable phases:
- Write many short contents daily.
- Few lengths.
- Lots of lengths.
I’ve tried everything and I can tell you for sure that I know what works and what doesn’t.
Starting to write like a man possessed does not make sense because you lack strategy. You do not know why you write, who you are addressing or what content to create.
You are betting on the Lottery to see if at some point of pure luck you get.
That is why today I want to explain in depth one of the contents that should always be within your content strategy if you want to increase your visits: a guest post or guest article.
What is this? ¿Why is it so important? How to raise it?
In this post, I not only answer these 3 questions, but I also bring you the definitive tutorial in which I explain everything you need to know about guest posting.
More than 5,000 words to triple your traffic in 3 months.
It’s not magic, it’s strategy.
What is guest posting?
As I told you before, it does not matter if you write a 2,000-word post every day. And do you know why?
Because in the social networks of your possible readers there are thousands and thousands of contents like yours.
You are just one more who is on Twitter and Facebook.
In this way, all you do is wear out your keyboard while increasing your frustration.
How to redirect the situation to gain visibility?
Learning to define your strategy and being clear:
- Who is your ideal reader?
- What is the objective of your content strategy?
In this case, your goal is to gain visits, so you have to focus on the contents that are best for that:
- guest posts
- SEO writing
- collaborative articles
And of these 4, for me the most effective and the one that you should always include in your content strategy is the guest post.
Now I explain the reason.
If I stick to the definition, a guest post is an article you write on someone else’s blog. But the truth is that it is much more than that. A guest post is an opportunity to attract qualified traffic.
Or, what is the same, visits that can become subscribers.
This is not ending here. Wait.
The main advantages of doing guest posting
In addition to visits, guest blogging (it can also be called that) offers you other benefits:
- Subscribers: qualified traffic equals leads. If your guest article has been good (and it always should be), the reader will not hesitate to enter your blog to see what other content you offer. And among them, your lead magnet … the basis of your conversion process. Also, remember that to make your online business profitable , you only need 1,000 loyal subscribers.
- Links: If you want to climb Google, you need to be linked. If you want to gain authority in your segment, you need links. If you want traffic from other blogs… guess what? You need links. A guest post is an easy way to get a high-quality link to your blog.
- Personal Branding – Typically, you’ll be looking for blogs that have a larger audience than yours, and therefore an authority as well. Appearing on these blogs will make the public link you to the blogger’s brand and give you credibility.
- Networking: guest posting is a way of networking. You are connecting with other people in your sector to establish a collaboration. Who knows if another project or even a job arises from here?
Now you may be wondering, why would a blogger want to let me write on his blog?
Because guest posting is a win-win activity and he also makes a profit.
The owners of the blogs that give you the opportunity to write get free content (original and fresh) that interests their audience. They save themselves from writing content (and when you are at a peak of work it is appreciated) and you become visible to their audience.
As said, win win.
How can you find blogs that accept guest posts?
Now we get to work.
The first thing is to see which blogs accept guest articles to create a listing. Then we will analyse each one according to different variables to see which one you are most interested in publishing.
1. GOOGLE SEARCH
You will tell me that I am not original, but of course it is the first place where one should start looking. Start with searches like “blog (your industry)”, “best blogs (your industry)”, “blogs (your industry)”, “bloggers (your industry)” or “guest posts (your industry)”. I leave you a couple of search results as an example:
Google result when putting “Entrepreneurial Blogs”
2. VISIT REFERENCE WEBSITES IN YOUR MARKET
On many pages they accept guest bloggers. You just have to take a tour of these sites that are benchmarks in your specialty and see who invites you to write.
Pay attention to the menu or a sidebar widget that says something like: “write for us”, “upload your article”, “guest author” or any other equivalent. Also, you will most likely find the guest author rules there, which will make your job easier.
This tool is just as easy to use as it is practical. You just enter (it has a free version), select the “Influencers” tab and put the keyword that corresponds to your sector.
Result shown by Buzzsumo when putting “digital marketing”
With these 3 options you have more than enough to get started.
Make a list of 30 blogs that have caught your attention the most. The next step will be to filter it to see which are the blogs that interest us the most.
How to select the candidates to do guest posting?
There are several criteria to take into account.
- Traffic : You should look for blogs with a higher traffic than yours. To do this you can use Ubersuggest, which is free.
- Participation : it is a very important issue, traffic is not everything. Check the volume of comments on a regular basis in each post. If the community of that blog is very active, you are guaranteed an extra point. It is also interesting that you take a look at the activity of their social networks. Don’t just stay with their number of followers, but with whether their posts are shared.
- Audience type : You have to look for blogs that share a similar audience to yours (this is what will make you have a better chance of converting them into subscribers). For example, I could write a blog post for a mom blogger and offer her a contribution titled: “The only business plan you need if you’re a mom blogger.” I am sure that this topic would interest your public and also it would be talking about something that is related to my activity. As you can see, I am making a tailor-made proposal. If you want to see a real example, here is the guest post I did for Ángel Alegre’s blog in which I explain why traveling alone is something very positive to later manage a sole proprietorship .
It is important to take time to analyze this data calmly because writing an article is going to cost you a few hours of work. More than ever, quantity does not matter, but quality.
What is the court strategy or how to choose the best blog to write a guest post
In the Middle Ages kings were almost inaccessible. They kept the emissaries waiting months and even years before giving them an audience. Sometimes for lack of time, others for simple “appearance”.
If you wanted to talk to the king, the best thing to do was not to knock directly on his door. They themselves were not the ones who managed their appointments.
How could you then get the king to listen to you?
Charming his entourage.
If you made yourself visible among them, generated friendships and managed to be held in high esteem, that could save you the “no” from the king or even months of waiting.
Well, in the world of blogging, the strategy is the same: to reach the influencer, you first have to win over their team.